| Wednesday, December 4th, 2019
A highly skilled, motivated, experienced, knowledgeable and strategic project/programme/portfolio delivery specialist with over 18 years' experience in the implementation and delivery of various business change initiatives across a range of UK Government Departments notably within healthcare and the NHS, criminal justice, education sectors; and a UK local authority. Ed possesses specialist skills include being an expert in the use of Office of Government Commerce (OGC) Methodologies e.g. Managing Successful Programmes, PRINCE2, Management of Risk, Cabinet Office and HM Treasury Business Case development processes and the Gateway Review Technique by the Infrastructure and Projects Authority (IPA) to deliver/support projects/programmes. Ed has a strong track record of exceeding client expectations with a clear focus on problem solving, delivery and achieving business goals. Ed is pragmatic and forensic in his approach to find solutions with as strong focus on delivery.
An expert in Cabinet Office project/programme delivery processes including Gateway Review Techniques. Delivery Manager along with specialisation.
Client summary: Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC)Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC)Department of Health (DH)NHS EnglandDepartment of Health & NHS EnglandBasildon Borough CouncilNHS Peterborough & NHS CambridgeshireBritish Transport Police (BTP)Her Majesty’s Revenue & Customs (HMRC)Ford Europe (UK)Identity and Passport Service (IPS)National Policing Improvement Agency (NPIA)Office of Government Commerce (OGC)Department for Education & Skills (DfES)
Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) (November 2018 - Present)
- Contingency Delivery Planning: I delivered robust and detailed workstream plans with defined deliverables and identified owners, performing quality verification activities and clearly defined touchpoints (interdependencies) between plans. Also influencing and driving the pace of programme delivery by leading on the development and maintenance of the wider Integrated Implementation Programme Plans (using MS Project) while also ensuring that all Workstreams remain aligned with the published Programme milestones. Through 1:1 engagement with Workstream Leads and SMEs (subject matter experts) I ensure full oversight, scrutiny and challenge the delivery of Workstream tasks/activities and help to remove blockages and facilitate decision-making at both Programme level and across the wider Continuity of Supply (CoS) Programme within the Department.
- Design & Embedding of key Programme Management Office (PMO) processes – I designed and embedded key processes to support the programme management arrangements for the MDCC Programme. I am responsible for supporting the PMO to drive programme delivery activities and performance through embedding key project management processes and controls to ensure accountability of deliverables to achieve programme milestones.
- Governance, Reporting & Assurance – I led the development of robust Programme Governance arrangements including Reporting, Monitoring and Assurance in accordance with IPA and HM Treasury protocols. I lead the weekly production of a Dashboard consisting of progress status updates by Workstreams/Projects for the Senior Management Team (SMT). SMT is the main governance board for the Programme and the main channel for decision-making. The SMT Dashboard consist of summary Programme milestones, outline achievements for the reporting period, planned activities for the next period including progress updates on the risks and issues to ensure informed decision-making.
- IPA & National Audit Office (NAO) Reviews – I led the MDCC Programme to ensure adequate preparation for the IPA Gateway Reviews in December 2018 / January 2019 and the NAO Review in September 2019.
- Proactive Risk & Issue Management (RAID) – responsible for the proactive management of risks and issues in liaison with Workstream Leads to scrutinise, challenge and enhance the achievability of proposed mitigating action plans, and where necessary escalate high and strategic risks to the Senior Management Team.
Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) (May 2017 - October 2018)
- Design, Set-up & Development of PMO Function – Designed, Set-up and implemented the development a PMO function for the Scan4Safety Programme. Leading the development of PMO services to ensure that it delivers a full range of PMO functions to support the mobilisation of Scan4Safety adoption across the NHS.
- Development of Programme Management Arrangements – Responsible for the development of programme management arrangements leading to the development of pragmatic processes to support: risk and issue management, governance, planning, information management, reporting and resourcing.
- Integrated PMO Support – Supporting the Programme Director in defining overall programme deliverables in accordance with delivery timelines. Supporting Workstream Leads in delivering their programme of work and ensuring that interdependencies are managed through development of end-to-end programme plans.
- Programme Business Case (PBC) – Contributed to the development of a PBC and successfully secured approval via the DHSC Investment Committee process in November 2017.
- Programme Documentation – Responsible for the development of all relevant programme management documentation, ensuring they are maintained with relevant up-to-date information while pro-actively obtaining information from others as needed.
Department of Health (DH) (June 2016 - May 2017)
- Set-up & implemented a PMO Function to support programme delivery – Led the development and implementation of a PMO function for PTP during the procurement phase. Led the PMO to deliver a full range of PMO functions in accordance with best practice – Cabinet Office and IPA processes. Delegated appropriately to deliver PMO responsibilities – created and led a highly coordinated, productive and efficient team.
- Development of Programme Documentation – Responsible for all relevant programme management documentation, ensuring they were maintained with relevant up-to-date information by pro-actively obtaining information from others as needed.
- Programme Budgeting – Ensured budget and resourcing strategies are appropriate and in line with relevant policies.
- Programme Governance – Maintained the programme governance arrangements, for example programme board, advisory boards, steering groups and further leading the programme through the governments Gateway Review processes.
- IPA Gateway Reviews – Successfully led the programme through the governments Gateway Review processes. Maintained senior level engagement with appropriate approval bodies such as the DH Director General of Finance and NHS, HM Treasury and Cabinet Office.
- Integrated Programme Assurance & Action Plan (IAAP) – Design, development and management of cross-programme Integrated Assurance and Approvals Plan (IAAP) in accordance with Infrastructure and Projects Authority (IPA) requirements.
- Risk & Issue Management – Created and managed a programme risk register, ensuring that project level risks, issues and dependencies are collated and escalated to the programme level where appropriate. Ensured cross project dependencies are co-ordinated and visible.
- Communications – Led appropriate communications and reporting to ensure alignment, mitigation management and progress across teams and stakeholders.
- Programme Reporting – Led and co-ordinated programme-wide team and project leads’ meetings including production of programme summary update briefings and milestone reporting documentation. Development of reports/briefings to DH Ministers, Cabinet Office (GMPP) and the Programme Board. Worked collaboratively with individual project leads, finance leads and the programme director to produce regular status reports, taking personal responsibility for quality and timeliness.
- Document Management – Co-ordination and maintenance of the document sharing systems, ensuring records are maintained and shared on DH eXchange.
NHS England (November 2015 - April 2016)
- Business Planning – Provided leadership for the MH 2016/17 business planning exercise required to help achieve system-wide transformation in the commissioning and delivery of mental health services by 2020/21.
- PMO Strategy Development & Implementation – Conducted a review of the wider complex MH Programme delivery environment, identified weaknesses and areas requiring improvements; used the findings to develop a PMO Strategy with a supporting Implementation Plan.
- Programme Mobilisation – Engaged with key decision-makers and workstream leads (via meetings and workshops) to inform the scoping activities, development, design and structure of a consolidated MH & Dementia Work Programme.
Department of Health & NHS England (January 2013 - October 2015)
- Designed, Set-up & implemented development of a PMO Function – Led the design, set-up and implementation of a PMO function to support the delivery of the National PBT Service Development Programme in compliance with Cabinet Office requirements for a major Government Programme (GMPP Programme).
- Business Case Development – Contributed to the development of various PBT business cases using the 5 Case Model as recommended in the HM Treasury Green Book.
- Stakeholder Engagement – Facilitated collaborative working between the four parties by adopting effective stakeholder management strategies which resulted in strong working relationships with senior managers, directors and project personnel across the various stakeholder groups.
- Integrated PMO Services – Daily management of the PMO function including coordination of workstream leads and liaison with external stakeholders, crisis resolution, and managing change requests. Ensuring that all programmes/projects from the two partner Trusts work together in a collaborative and coherent manner – integrated programme/project plans.
- Implementation of a Programme Management Framework – Robust support, guidance and mentoring processes on all aspects of programme/project management for the National PBT Service Development Programme in accordance with the DH and Cabinet Office procedures. Responsible for driving programme management standards which are consistent and lean with effective delivery processes appropriate to business needs and recognised as best practice.
- Integrated Programme Assurance – Design, development and management of cross-programme Integrated Assurance and Approvals Plan (IAAP) in accordance with Infrastructure and Projects Authority (IPA) requirements.
- Gateway Reviews (IPA Assurance) – Preparation for various Gateway Reviews (0, 2, 3 and 4); liaison with the IPA; development of Risk Potential Assessment (RPA) forms and Management Action Plans which outlines how and when Gateway Review recommendations will be implemented.
- Forensic PMO Services – Adopting a forensic approach to delivering PMO services across various management tiers.
Basildon Borough Council (May 2012 - November 2012)
NHS Peterborough & NHS Cambridgeshire (June 2011 - May 2012)
British Transport Police (BTP) (April 2009 - June 2011)
Her Majesty’s Revenue & Customs (HMRC) (March 2009 - April 2009)
Ford Europe (UK) (October 2007 - December 2008)
Identity and Passport Service (IPS) (April 2006 - October 2007)
National Policing Improvement Agency (NPIA) (March 2004 - April 2006)
Office of Government Commerce (OGC) (February 2002 - March 2004)
Department for Education & Skills (DfES) (February 1996 - January 2002)
- MBA (General Management), The University of Hull, UK
- BSc. (Microbiology), Bendel State University (now called Edo State University), Nigeria
- PRINCE 2 Practitioner
- Managing Successful Programmes (MSP) Practitioner
- Management of Risk (M.o.R) Foundation Certificate
- Public Sector Procurement: Certificate of Competence in Purchasing & Supply
- Software Testing: Information Systems Examinations Board (ISEB) Foundation Certificate in Software Testing
- Professional Memberships: Member British Computer Society (MBCS) and APMG PMO Special Interest Group