| Wednesday, December 19th, 2018
A dynamic, goal-oriented Digital Transformation Specialist & Agile Adoption Evangelist with a 25-year track record of transforming business to digital/agile ways-of-working. Delivering projects to specification, within budget, on-time and to the desired quality; within a fast-changing business environment. Successfully managed resources and budgets during the design, development, testing and delivery of both enterprise-scale applications and bespoke consultative engagements; utilising various project management methodologies. Experience of working on multiple projects, across various geographical areas and time-zones, in both structured and agile environments. Utilised agile techniques including: Scrum, SAFE, Kanban, Lean & Extreme Programming to improve the efficiency of existing personnel and create new teams.
Client summary: Perfectly Simple IT SolutionsPS ConsultingHM Revenue & CustomsFordEMCFujitsuGKNIBMRoyal Navy
Perfectly Simple IT Solutions (Oct 18 - Present)
- Lead Consultant for IR35 Compliance Digital Transformation.
- Lead Consultant for IT Recruitment Marketplace Digital Transformation.
- Lead Consultant for The Hive Digital Transformation.
- Lead Consultant for Enterprise 4 Good Digital Transformation.
PS Consulting (Jul 17 - Oct 18)
- Client: HM Revenue & Customs
- Setup new agile professional services organisation; coaching delivery team in agile ways of working: Scrum, Scaled Agile, Kanban, Lean & Extreme Programming.
- Oversee and execute process improvements, agile transformation and the development of policies, procedures, methods, and tools in support of delivery. Embedding agile principles:
- Collaborating with clients rather than wasting time on adhering to contracts.
- Working with individuals and what they need to achieve their goals rather than being bogged down by red tape & process.
- Adopting flexible plans that prepare for change rather than resist it.
- Ensuring deliverables have just enough documentation to be supportable/maintainable by clients/third-parties.
- Agile Coach to five Delivery Managers and nine Scrum Masters in a mixed Scrum and Kanban environment (12 Delivery Scrum Teams, 1 Architectural Team & 2 DevOps Teams).
- Effective communicator – individual team member level up to Director of Customs Transformation for HMRC for Public Accounts Committee Hearings.
- Support pre-sales processes and working with sales and account management professionals to win new business; implementing business; proposal review and refinement; recruiting and staff development.
- Establish strategic plans along with other business leaders and maintain strong relationships with solutions delivery, the sales team, client and account managers and other business leaders in support of cross-product businesses.
- Enhance productivity of on-site consultants on customer engagements through empowerment/enablement.
- Manage financials and metrics for key clients.
- Promote continuous feedback and improvement to on-site consultants.
- Support growth of consultants to achieve their goals and objectives.
- Support and implement organisation and customer’s vertical and corporate initiatives.
- Manage Profit & Loss for key client engagements.
- Attain revenue goals through growing/enhancing professional services.
- Support development of “pre-packaged” solutions offerings to provide value added customer services.
- Coordinate with professional service sales teams.
- Manage customer requirements and expectations; ensuring customer engagements success.
- Maintain overall quality of all projects and programmes within professional services engagements.
- Provide high quality and timely services to create customer satisfaction.
- Support efficient implementation of provided services.
- Direct and manage professional services partners and subcontractors to support engagement.
HM Revenue & Customs (Nov 15 - Jun 17)
- Created an agile team of 100+ from scratch; utilising Scrum and SAFE in a multi-component-delivery-team; distributed across multiple Programmes/Projects.
- Refactored Programme Backlogs to cover Functional Requirements using Epics, Features & User Stories; Non-Functional Requirements using Themes and ensured cross-team standardisation by adopting Guilds.
- Coached/Mentored in-house team on Agile techniques; personally training three Scrum Masters and facilitating their promotions to Delivery Manager, Department Manager & Agile Coach.
- Consulting Programme Director responsible for setting up and transforming multiple development teams; across multiple locations to agile ways-of-working. Team comprises in excess of 80 people; responsible for creating and extending HMRC's middleware services platform (WSO2 and WebMethods) in support of the transformation to Digital.
- In-house development teams leverage a bespoke fully automated Continuous Build, Integration & Test (CBIT) environment to deliver low cost, high quality APIs & transformations to connect a modern front-end to legacy back-end systems; utilising an annual budget in excess of £10M.
- Consulting advisor on the £250M+ Customs system replacement Programme; utilising a Scaled Agile Framework Environment.
- Transforming the engagement model for supplier-led development from Cap Gemini, Fujitsu and Accenture for additional Integration engagements.
- Championing the virtualisation of HMRC's legacy middleware infrastructure; including adding dual data centre resilience and consolidation of existing servers.
- Delivered a migration of a full development team and services from Fujitsu Private Cloud to AWS.
Ford (Mar 14 - Nov 15)
- Programme Manager responsible for delivering a multi-region (Europe and Asia Pacific) bespoke data warehouse/business intelligence solution.
- Merging two multi-million-dollar programmes for a Data Warehouse/Business Intelligence application for the European and Asia Pacific Sales regions.
- Acting as Agile Programme Manager/Release Train Engineer and Agile coach, in a Scaled Agile Framework Environment; utilising four geographically dispersed agile teams.
- Responsible for programme governance to executive board.
- Full budgetary/forecasting responsibility at programme level.
- Maintained client communications at executive sponsor level.
- Produced accurate estimates, plans and programme reports.
- Maintained programme/release plans, documentation, risks and issues through Clarity.
- Managed the change control process and developed appropriate risk mitigation processes/strategies.
EMC (Feb 01 - Apr 13)
- Virtual team management of a geographically dispersed software engineering group.
- Successfully managed up to 30 customer projects simultaneously.
- Worked directly with senior/executive management of blue-chip customers/partners in the finance, retail and manufacturing industries.
- Completed twice as many projects during 2012 as any of my global peers.
- Responsibility for managing/improving agile processes and procedures across EMEA.
- Executive reporting responsibility for EMEA to corporate HQ in the US.
- Proven track record of implementing agile process/project improvements.
- Experience of working in predictive/structured (Prince 2, Waterfall) and adaptive/agile (Scrum, Disciplined Agile Delivery) environments.
- Produced accurate estimates and plans.
- Maintained project plans and documentation.
- Managed the change control process.
- Developed appropriate risk mitigation processes/strategies.
- Achieved corporate goals for cost saving.
- Experience with establishing software development groups offshore.
- Matrix (task) management responsibility for three offshore development teams totalling 12 personnel.
- Line management responsibility for UK-based development operations department of 10; including project management and quality assurance functions.
Fujitsu (Apr 00 - Jan 01)
- Successfully delivered a bespoke database-driven global resource management system.
- Responsible for all aspects of project management and integration with overall programme; in a bespoke, pseudo-scrum environment.
- Matrix (task) management responsibility for a team of 16 developers (four scrums).
GKN (Apr 98 - Apr 00)
- Consulting delivery manager with full budgetary responsibility for 36 consultants.
- Experience in contract negotiation/renegotiation with subcontractors.
- Successfully managed a multi-million-pound programme of eight projects in a Rapid Application Development environment.
- Simultaneously delivered projects to four separate client departments across two geographical locations.
- Successfully turned around a-number-of failing projects.
- Improved and managed client relationships in a high-pressure environment.
- Extensive experience of working with subcontractors and suppliers.
- Increased utilisation rate for team of consultants by 17%.
- Improved average project revenue generation by 8% across a business unit. This model was then rolled out across the whole business group.
- Increased the amount of new business through procedural changes for project managers, analysts and software engineers on consultative engagements.
IBM (Apr 96 - Apr 98)
- Successfully managed numerous projects, utilising a virtual team of programmers, meeting all deadlines and staying on budget.
- Extensive use of Prince for project management.
Royal Navy (Jan 88 - Apr 96)
- Set-up, and managed, two Project Management Offices (PMO).
- Line-management responsibility for a team of six project managers and support staff, utilising PROMPT.
- Responsibility for all IT projects across three departments totalling 400 personnel.
- Prince 2 Foundation
- Prince 2 Practitioner
- Scrum Master
- Product Owner
- Six Sigma Green Belt